Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Spinach - slaw


Spinach......the coolest thing about spinach growing up was popeye. This leafy vegetable has been getting a hard time since most of us were juniors. It might have even been classed in the same realm as broccoli. Personally I enjoyed a creamy spinach but the cream part is generally considered unhealthy. One of my good friends from a town called Kathu (yes there is a town by that name in SA), showed me a really nice white sauce and I might place it on this blog in the future with her blessing.

Anyhow almost all the dishes that I have been inserting into this blog have mostly been mains. This dish can be eaten as a main but generally makes a good side. The thing I do not enjoy about spinach is that it takes quite abit time to process the leaf and once you cook it the output is very little relative to the effort. The raw taste is rather bitter and generally people of the sub-continent persuasion will curry it.

What I like about this recipe is that it is quite quick to make, volume-ous, maintains a small crunch and compliments protein mains quite well if needed.

The ingredients can be adjusted to the desired feel and taste

Ingredients:
1 bunch of spinach (a bunch is such an arbitrary measurement, since the bunch "size" is determined by the grocer. "my grocer is better than yours?")
1 handful macadamia nuts (I just had these at home, much cheaper than the other types of nuts, I suppose it could work with other nuts. A peanut is a legume, not a nut nut)
5 Tbsp Olive oil
5 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
2 cloves garlic

Method:
Remove spinach leaf from stork
Place leaves (obviously after it have been washed), macadamia nuts, olive oil, yoghurt and garlic into blender (food processor)
Blend to desired consistency
You can add in salt if you feel the taste is too natural

Voila and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment