Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Roast smoked chicken

Figure 1: Roast Smoke Chicken with yoghurt sauce


The next cooking apparatus I like using is a oven pot. It is sturdy enough to be used in the over at almost any temperature, it has a deep base which plays into this recipes requirements.

Generally I like cooking food that has a quick preparation time and cooks at long "chilled" pace. Not literally chilled then it would be closer to a gravlax, google that! I enjoy cooking food at a slower pace because it gives me the freedom to undertake other undertakings (there is failed attempt at sophistication) at the same time and gives the ingrediants flavour time to infuse with each other because generally I think up my recipes on the fly (I acknowledge that there might be something similar out there but these concoctions have come from my own brain) and the protein/meat does not have time to marinate.

What I like about this recipe is that you use fresh ingredients, whole spices and chicken gets smoked and then roasted in the same pot.

The products or spices being used for the smoking process and then reused to create an alternative sauce where the smoked product mixes with the chicken stock. At the end of the cooking process I take the stock and mix it with double thick Greek yoghurt, just because it feels better and easier to handle when I eat the chicken. The Greek yoghurt addition is one of my favourite tricks and I use it often and you shall see it often on this blog.

Ingredients
1 chicken (free range I feel is generally better but then again it could be mental convincing, cost is roughly the same free range vs conventional (as opposed to an unconventional chicken, which comes with more drumsticks) )
2 Tbsp Ginger
3 cloves garlic
3 cardamom
2 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika (or any dry spice you want to try)
2 sticks cinnamon

Process (the pictures below illustrate the cooking order)
Pre-heat oven at 150 deg C (200 Deg C if you want some speed but then the cooking time is 1 hour)
Liquidise ginger, garlic, salt and cardamom (how very un-paleo of me, I should take a pestle and mortar and grind the marinade together and grow them arms)
Take paste and place between chicken skin and meat
Place paprika and cinnamon in cooking pot (the chicken will inherit a smoked flavour from these ingredients)
Place a raised surface in cooking pot (this will allow the chicken to be roasted all round)
Place chicken on raised surface
Cover and place in pre heated over for 1.5 - 2 hours (the lid should offer a very tight seal but not air tight, you want the chicken to maintain moisture but not create pressure)
Take out chicken and use flavoured stock how you see fit (I use the yoghurt move)

Enjoy!!

Figure 2: Ingredients and apparatus (salt is in hiding)
Figure 3: Liquidise Ginger, Garlic, Salt and Cardamom. Place between chicken meat and skin
Figure 4: Place Paprika and cinnamon at bottom of pot and raised grid thereafter
Figure 5: Place Marinated chicken on raised grid
Figure 6: cooked product, refer to figure 1 for plated visual



No comments:

Post a Comment